Current Condition

Public Works and Garbage/Recycling

Show All Answers

1. What is my garbage day?

Garbage and recycling are picked up weekly. Monday: South of 5th St. and West of Hewett St. Wednesday: North of 5th St. and West of Hewett St. Friday: East of Hewett St. When a holiday falls during the week, pick up days are delayed by one day through the rest of the week. You can pick up a garbage pick up schedule and recycling brochure at the City Clerk's office, 118 W. 5th St.

2. Where can I get a new recycling bin?

Call the street department at 715--743-3515. They will provide you with a recycle bin, along with a flyer containing recycling instructions and a pickup schedule calendar.

3. How do I dispose of large items like furniture and appliances?

Advance Disposal will pick up most pieces of furniture. Please call Advance Disposal at 888-271-7176 to inform them that you have items to be picked up. These items will not be picked up without prior notification to Advanced Disposal. Refrigerators, freezers, TVs, dehumidifiers, air conditioners, etc. must be scheduled in advance, as they do charge you a disposal fee for these items.

4. How can I schedule pickup of branches that I've trimmed from my trees?

Unfortunately, we do not pick up branches that you trimmed or pruned. We simply do not have enough manpower to do this. However, we will pick up small branches that come down due to high winds or storm damage. This pickup will be accomplished as our workload permits.

5. Who do I contact about a bad street light?

Call the Director of Public Works at 715-743-5678 and report the location address, if possible. The repair request will be faxed to Xcel Energy. Please allow up to 4 weeks for repair to take place.


Show All Answers

1. How do I get a bartender's license?

First, if you have not done so, you must complete a Responsible Beverage Server course. Courses are available online. Learn2serve is one course. It can be found at After completing the course, bring the certificate of completion to the City Clerk's office during regular business hours, and complete an Application for Operator's License. The application will be presented to the Common Council for approval at the next meeting. It is your responsibility to check the status of your application. You will not be notified when your license is approved. Cost of a bartender's license is $15.00, payable when you pick up the license. All operator's licenses issued by the City of Neillsville expire on June 30th of each year. To prevent your license from expiring, a renewal application must be completed and returned to the City Clerk's office by June 15th for approval by the Common Council.

2. How do I license my dog?

Dog licenses are available through the City Clerk's office. Any dog kept in the City of Neillsville, and over five (5) months of age, must be licensed on or before the dog becomes five (5) months of age, and annually thereafter. Annual licenses may be purchased between January 2nd and March 31st of each year. License fees are $3.00 for spayed or neutered animals, and $8.00 for intact animals. A $5.00 late fee will be assessed to the license fee if you fail to license your dog(s) by March 31st. Licenses will not be issued without proof of rabies vaccination.

Sewer Department

Show All Answers

1. Who do I call if my sewer backs up?

If this just happened, call the sewer department at 715-743-3592 during the hours of 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. After hours, call the non-emergency police number (715-743-3122) and report a sewer emergency. If your sewer has been draining slowly for weeks, and has finally stopped running, or if you were doing laundry and the water came back up in your basement, please call during the business hours listed above. Once reported, sewer department employees will check the city sewers for backups. If there are no backups, it will be your responsibility to call a plumber of your choice or rent a sewer snake to clean out your sewer line. Remember: Any time you call a plumber, you are responsible for the costs. It is better to have the city check first.

2. What is the most frequent cause of backups?

1) Tree roots in sewer lines. The City of Neillsville currently does not allow root killer with copper sulfate to be used according to the directions on the bottle. 2) Flushing grease down the drain. Lard, butter, bacon grease, deep fryer oil - all of these solidify somewhere in the line and block the flow of water. Please allow these items to cool, and dispose of them in the garbage. 3) Flushing anything other than toilet paper. Flushing items other than toilet paper is the number one reason for sewer rate hikes! Kleenex, baby wipes, facial wipes, paper towels, napkins, shop towels, tampons, sanitary napkins, diapers, bandages, Swiffer sweeper pads. None of these are flushable, even if they are labeled as such. They cause blockages in the sewers because they do not break up. I also see a lot of non-biodegradable items - condoms, toilet wand brushes, washcloths, 5-hour energy drink bottles, tampon plastic applicators, plastic bags, toothbrushes, etc. The wastewater process works like a stomach - if you could not digest it, neither can the wastewater plant.

3. There is an electrical panel with lights on it, and now an annoying buzzer is sounding. What do I do?

This electrical panel is part of a sewer lift station. (White lights are good - they mean the power is on. Red lights and buzzers are bad.)During business hours, call the sewer plant at 715-743-3592. If you do not get an answer at the sewer plant, call the city clerk's office at 715-743-2105. After business hours, call the non-emergency police number, 715-743-3122, and tell them there is an alarm sounding, and where the panel is located. The police will dispatch a wastewater operator to the alarm location. This alarm sounding is considered an emergency. Don't be afraid to call! If the alarm is not reported, homes in the area could experience a basement backup.


Show All Answers

1. When do the park restrooms open and close?

The restrooms open in May and close in October, weather permitting.

2. What time do the parks open and close?

City parks open at daylight and close at 11:00 p.m.

3. When does the skate park open?

The skate park opens as soon as the asphalt and obstacles are clear of snow and ice.

4. How do I rent a park shelter?

Call the Parks Director at 715-743-7071, or use the online reservation form: Shelter reservations are $30.00 each. This covers rental, set up, electric and clean up.

5. Can we use the ball fields?

Anyone can use the ball fields in city parks, as long as there are no league or city program games or practices scheduled for that time.


Show All Answers

1. How do I pick a grave site?

Contact the Cemetery Sexton at 715-743-7071 to set up an appointment to view a map of the cemetery and tour the area(s) you'd like to see before choosing a site.

2. How do I purchase a grave site?

After you choose the site best suited for you, the Cemetery Sexton will begin the paperwork and collect the payment. Grave sites are currently priced at $350 each.

3. How do I find a loved one in the cemetery?

Contact the Cemetery Sexton at 715-743-7071, or the City Clerk's office at 715-743-2105 for this information. We can also email or snail-mail you a map of the cemetery, with specific locations highlighted. Or, call the Sexton to set up an appointment to be guided to your loved one's grave site(s).

4. When do flowers and decorations have to be removed?

Summer decorations/flowers must be removed by October 1st of each year. Fall or winter decorations/flowers must be removed by April 1st. Any decorations that you plan to keep or use again should be removed. Any flowers or decorations left on the grave sites after October 1st and April 1st will be removed and destroyed.

Water Department

Show All Answers

1. How do I set up water service in my name?

Call the City Clerk's office at 715-743-2105. They will get your information and contact utility personnel to read the water meter and set up an account.

2. How do I determine if I have a water leak?

90% of leaks are found at the toilet tank. To test the flapper plug, remove the lid from the toilet tank, and mark the water level in the tank with a pencil. Shut off the water supply to the toilet. Come back 10 minutes later. If the water level has not changed, the flapper is not leaking. If the level drops below the pencil mark, the flapper plug is leaking and should be replaced. If the water level in the toilet tank is at the top of the overflow tube, a leak may be occurring there. The float that controls the water level in the tank should be adjusted so the water level in the tank is at least 1 inch below the top of the tube.

3. My water is metered in cubic feet. How many gallons of water are in 1 cubic foot?

1 cubic foot of water = 7.48 gallons of water.

4. What should I do if I see water bubbling up in the street, or I hear water running when nothing is turned on?

Contact the water department at 715-743-3991 during regular hours (7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.), or at 715-743-3122 (Police Dept) after hours.

Department Contacts
City Clerk (715) 743-2105
Public Works (715) 743-5678
Recreation (715) 743-2400
Library  (715) 743-2558
Parks     (715) 743-7071  
Cemetery (715) 743-7071  
Water Dept.       (715) 743-3991
Sewer Dept. (715) 743-3592
Police Dept.  (non-emergency) (715) 743-3122