Current Condition

132 East 4th Street, 1916 Neillsville Christian Science Church             #8


Chicago architect L. J. Corbey designed this Neoclassical Revival structure in the form of a Greek cross (arms of equal length) for the Neillsville Christian Science Society. The local Society was formed in January of 1912 and by 1916 membership had increased such that it became necessary to build a church. Four massive 15 foot high unfluted Roman Tuscan columns support the prominent gable pediment of the north facing full height portico wing. The main church gable is visible slightly above and behind the north portico wing giving the appearance of a miniature Greek temple. Green opalescent art glass windows shed suffused light throughout the interior of the auditorium. This small Church has a tremendously large presence.  NR

 

EL – The structure is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
LR – The structure is listed on the Local Historic Register
NR – The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

 

Department Contacts
City Clerk (715) 743-2105 clerk@neillsville-wi.com
Public Works (715) 743-5678 Dflynn@neillsville-wi.com
Recreation (715) 743-2400 reclady@hotmail.com
Library  (715) 743-2558 director@neillsville.lib.wi.us
Parks     (715) 743-7071  
Cemetery (715) 743-7071  
Water Dept.       (715) 743-3991 water@neillsville-wi.com
Sewer Dept. (715) 743-3592 sewer@neillsville-wi.com
Police Dept.  (non-emergency) (715) 743-3122 neillsville.police@neillsvillepd.org